DOLCE : Descriptive Ontology for Linguistic and Cognitive Engineering
DOLCE is a foundational ontology developed and maintained by the ISTC-CNR Laboratory for Applied Ontology .
It was originally developed within the WonderWeb project
and was conceived as the first module of the WonderWeb Foundational Ontologies Library (WFOL) together with OCHRE and BFO.
DOLCE has remained stable after its first release in 2002/2003.
It is formally specified in first-order logic (FOL); its consistency has been proved by Oliver Kutz and Till Mossakowski (see paper ).
Main documentation on DOLCE
- WonderWeb Deliverable 18: it includes the final axiomatization of DOLCE in FOL, as well as the presentation of the WonderWeb Foundational Ontologies Library.
This deliverable is to be considered as the main, official documentation of DOLCE
- WonderWeb Deliverable 17: it covers the first axiomatization of DOLCE in FOL
- Borgo, S., & Masolo, C. (2009). Foundational choices in DOLCE. In Handbook on ontologies (pp. 361-381). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
Some research papers based on DOLCE
- Masolo, C., Vieu, L., Bottazzi, E., Catenacci, C., Ferrario, R., Gangemi, A., & Guarino, N. (2004). Social Roles and their Descriptions . In KR (pp. 267-277)
- Borgo, S., & Leitão, P. (2007). Foundations for a core ontology of manufacturing. In Ontologies (pp. 751-775). Springer, Boston, MA
- Bottazzi, E., & Ferrario, R. (2009). Preliminaries to a DOLCE ontology of organisations. International Journal of Business Process Integration and Management, 4(4), 225-238
- Garbacz, P., Borgo, S., Carrara, M., & Vermaas, P. E. (2011). Two ontology-driven formalisations of functions and their comparison. Journal of Engineering Design, 22(11-12), 733-764
- Porello, D., Bottazzi, E., & Ferrario, R. (2014). The Ontology of Group Agency. In FOIS (pp. 183-196)
- Sanfilippo, E. M., & Borgo, S. (2015). Feature-Based Modelling and Information Systems for Engineering. In AI*IA 2015: AI*IA 2015 Advances in Artificial Intelligence (pp.151-163). Springer, Cham
Some methodological works
- Guarino, N., & Welty, C. A. (2004). An overview of OntoClean. In Handbook on ontologies (pp. 151-171). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- Masolo, C., & Borgo, S. (2005). Qualities in formal ontology. In Foundational Aspects of Ontologies (FOnt 2005) Workshop at KI (pp. 2-16)
- Vieu, L., Borgo, S., & Masolo, C. (2008). Artefacts and Roles: Modelling Strategies in a Multiplicative Ontology. In FOIS (pp. 121-134)
DOLCE in the Web Ontology Language (OWL)
Aldo Gangemi and colleagues have adapted and re-engineered DOLCE according to the expressivity of OWL.
Their efforts resulted in various OWL models, among which DOLCE Lite ( download the ontology library) and
Dolce+DnS Ultralite (DUL).
These ontologies depart from the official release of DOLCE under different aspects; e.g., they do not cover modality, nor temporal indexing, and include
the representation of entities such as descriptions and situations which are not covered in DOLCE.
More about DOLCE
Link to LOA Homepage