My current main line of research is concerned with the application of foundational ontologies in the development of philosophically and cognitively well-justified methodological tools for conceptual modeling in computer science. On this topic, I have been working for many years in a close collaboration with Gerd Wagner (Brandenburg University of Technology at Cottbus), Nicola Guarino (Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology, Laboratory for Applied Ontology, Trento), and Heinrich Herre (Formal Concepts Group, University of Leipzig) in the context of GFO/GOL (General Formalized Ontology/General Ontology Language) Project.
From 2000 to 2005, I have worked with Marten van Sinderen and Luis Ferreira Pires in the ASNA (Architecture and Services of Network Applications) Research Group in University of Twente in The Netherlands. As a result of my work there, I have received a PhD (Cum Laude) from the same university. The results of my PhD research have been published in the book “Ontological Foundations for Structural Conceptual Models”.
May, 2005, I have been holding an Associate Researcher position in the Laboratory
of Applied Ontology (LOA), which is part of the
My other research interests include Software Engineering (in particular Domain Engineering, Semantic Application and Interoperability of Tools, Semantic Software Environments, Software Reuse), FOL and Modal Logics, Design of Domain-specific visual languages, Formal Languages and Design Methods and Architectures for Open Distributed Systems (including Enterprise modeling, Distributed Multimedia Systems and Context-Aware applications).
To know more about my research one should check my Publications
Currently, I am involved in the following events:
- Journal of Applied Ontology (IOS Press), Special issue on Ontological Foundations for Conceptual Modeling (together with Terry Halpin)
- Steering Committee for
I have participated in the organization of the following events:
6th International Conference on
Protocols for Multimedia Systems, Enschede, The
Workshop Semantics and Services, Telematica Institute, Enschede,
I have also participated in the program committee of the following events/books:
- Springer-Verlag Book Reviewer.
- LNCS Book entitled Software Engineering for Multi-Agent Systems V, Springer-Verlag, 2006.
- 10th International Joint Conference on Information Sciences (JCIS, 2007),
- International Workshop on Ontology Content and Evaluation for Enterprises (OnToContent’06), 5th International Conference on Ontologies, Databases and Applications of Semantics (ODBASE),
- IEEE International Workshop on Engineering Semantic Agent Systems (ESAS, 2006), COMPSAC’2006,
- International Workshop on Rule-Based Modeling and Simulation of Interacting Systems and Agents,
- 5th International Workshop on Software Engineering of Large-Scale Multi-Agent Systems (SELMAS), at the 28th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE),
- 8th International Bi-Conference Workshop on Agent-Oriented Information Systems (AOIS), at 5th International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS),
- 8th International Bi-Conference Workshop on Agent-Oriented Information Systems (AOIS), at the 18th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE),
- 7th International Baltic Conference on Databases and Information Systems (DB&IS’2006),
- Second Workshop on Ontology Issues and Applications (WONTO), at the International Joint Conference IBERAMIA (Iberical Conference on Artificial Intelligent) – SBIA (Brazilian Symposium on Artificial Intelligence) – SBRN (Brazilian Symposium on Neural Networks),
- 7th International Bi-Conference Workshop on Agent-Oriented Information Systems (AOIS), at 4th International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS),
- 7th International Bi-Conference Workshop on Agent-Oriented Information Systems (AOIS), at the 24th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER),
- IFIP International Workshop on Web Semantics (SWWS’05), at the 4th International Conference on Ontologies, Databases and Applications of Semantics (ODBASE),
International Workshop on Ontology in Action, 16th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE),
International Workshop on Regulatory Ontologies
(WORM 2004), International Federated Conferences (OTM),
I have also done reviewing work for the following journals:
- Journal of Applied Ontology, IOS Press, regular reviewer since Jan. 2006.
- Journal of Data Semantics, Springer-Verlag, regular reviewer since 2006.
- Journal of Software and System Modeling (SoSyM), Springer-Verlag, regular reviewer since Aug, 2005.
- Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Special Issue on "Perception and Ontologies in Visual, Virtual and Geographic Spaces", Elsevier Science, 2005.
- Journal of Computer Systems Science and Engineering, Special Issue on Software Engineering for Multi-Agent Systems, CRL Publishing, 2005.
- Journal of the Brazilian Computer Society, Special Issue on Ontology Issues and Applications, 2005.
- Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Special Issue on Domain-Specific Visual Languages (Elsevier Science), 2003.
- Journal of Software and System Modelling, Special Issue on Graph Transformations and Visual Modeling Techniques, 2003.