Detection of crisis in socio-material systems
via VISual-COgnitive-SOcial processes
36 months (extended of 9 months)
|Principal Investigator||Roberta Ferrario|
Chiara Bassetti |
Davide Conigliaro |
|Visitors (2013)||Błażej Skrzypulec|
|External Collaborators||Marco Cristani|
project will concentrate on the detection of critical situations that
happens in the entanglement of visual-cognitive-social processes, the
process of seeing a scene, forming a belief or an expectation and
engaging in an interaction. We argue that, far from being a linear
process, this is rather an entanglement, in which vision influences what
agents believe, their beliefs determine them to interact in a certain
way and sustain their institutions, the rules they are subject to or
their previous interactions may let emerge beliefs and expectations,
that may influence what they see and how they see it, and so on.
Moreover, in a socio-material system, both humans and technical devices
participate in and enact such entanglement. Many disciplines, ranging
from philosophy to cognitive sciences, artificial intelligence and
sociology, have dealt with such phenomena, often focusing only on a part
of the entanglement and neglecting the others.
The scenario of the project is that of designed socio-material systems, intended as complex systems embedding human and artificial agents, material and institutional artifacts and resources, in which behavior and practices are partly constrained by norms. The complexity of such systems makes it very hard for them to cope with critical situations, as they emerge from the interplay between all participants and cannot be reduced to mere technical malfunctioning or to the negligence/malevolence of the human actors involved, but should be rather dealt with at a systemic level.
The challenge addressed by this project is that of enabling a wider and more comprehensive perspective by leveraging on the results of the involved disciplines, thus allowing for the implementation of socio-material systems that are aware of the criticalities that can emerge in the entanglement of visual- cognitive-social processes. An ontological model will be built that captures the insights coming from different disciplines, reached with their own specific paradigms, making use of their own concepts and methodologies. The conceptual clarification resulting from the ontological analysis will enable:
- scholars of the various disciplines involved to better understand each other, thus enhancing knowledge on their specific field by cross-fertilization of studies
- designers of socio-material systems to be more aware of the entanglement, thus preventing as much as possible critical situations and preparing a systemic reaction to them
- agents (human and artificial) that participate in the system to better prevent, recognize, recover and learn from critical situations, and to infer new unexpected critical situations “at run time”, while the system evolves, by making it in a sense self-transparent.
The expected outcome will be a theoretical artifact, but meant to be practically used within the system and co-evolving with it, and enabling the agents in the system to collectively manage critical situations thanks to an enhanced self- transparency.
For the part concerning the integration of the ontological approach and computer vision, VisCosSo is being carried out in collaboration with the VIPS Laboratory (Vision, Image Processing & Sound) of the Dipartimento di Informatica at the University of Verona, with the supervision of Marco Cristani.
The main research results of VisCoSo are contained in our Publications (see below). Moreover, we have built two datasets, S-Hock and RepTile, which are publicly available for the scientific community. This article also summarizes the main achievements of the project.
Articles on the Project in general
- Ferrario, R., Il progetto VisCoSo: rilevazione di situazioni critiche nei sistemi sociomateriali attraverso processi di VISione, COgnizione e interazione SOciale, Mondo Digitale, Anno XV, 62, AICA, Associazione Italiana per l’Informatica e il Calcolo Automatico, 2016.
- Bassetti, C., Campos, M. L. M., Ferrario, R., Airport security checkpoints: an empirically-grounded ontological model for supporting collaborative work practices in safety-critical environments, in Palen, L., Büscher, M., Comes, T., Hughes, A. (eds.), Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM 2015), Kristiansand, Norvegia, May 24-27, 2015.
Articles on Ethnography, Interaction and Case Study
- Bassetti, C., A novel interdisciplinary approach to socio-technical complexity. Sociologically-driven, computable methods for sport spectator crowds’ semi-supervised analysis, in F. Cecconi (ed.), New Frontiers in the Study of Social Phenomena, New York: Springer (ISBN: 978-3-319-23938-5), 2016, 117-143.
- Bassetti, C., Bottazzi, E., Introduction. Rhythm in Social Interaction, Etnografia e Ricerca Qualitativa, 8(3), 2015, 367-381.Bassetti, C., Bottazzi, E., The Power of Rhythm. From Dance Rehearsals to Adult-Newborn Interaction, Etnografia e Ricerca Qualitativa, 8(3), 2015, 453-478.
- Bassetti, C., Giorgetta, C., Ferrario, R., Work- and Job-related Stress, Emotions, and Performance in Critical Situations. An interdisciplinary study in the context of airport security, in Airenti, G., Bara, B. G., Sandini, G. (eds.) Proceedings of the EuroAsianPacific Joint Conference on Cognitive Science (EAP-CogSci 2015), CEUR Workshop Proceedings (ISSN 16130073), vol. 1419 (http//ceur-ws.org/Vol-1419).
- Bassetti, C., Murgia, A., Teli, M., RIOT NOW. Playfulness, affect and free market in an indie RpG, 10th Organization Studies Summer Workshop: Organizational Creativity, Play and Entrepreneurship, Crete, Greece, 21-23 May 2015.
- Bassetti, C., Murgia, A., Teli, M., RIOT NOW. Esprit ludique, créativité et free work dans un JdR indépendant, Mondes du travail, special issue “Travail et hors-travail, quels relations, quelles frontières, quels enjeux?”.
- Bassetti, C., Resisting at the Airport: Security Guards among TIP and Unruly Passengers, 9th Organization Studies Summer Workshop: Resistance, resisting, and resisters in and around organizations, Corfù, May 21-24, 2014.
- Bassetti, C., Ferrario, R., Giorgetta, C., Porello, D., Visione, cognizione, e interazione nei sistemi
socio-tecnici: un progetto integrato, in M. Cruciani, F. Cecconi (eds.), Atti del Nono Convegno Annuale dell’Associazione Italiana di Scienze Cognitive, Università di Trento, pp. 396-400, 2012.
Articles on Psychology and Decision Making
- Giorgetta, C., Grecucci, A., Ferrario, R., Bonini, N., Sanfey, A. G., Emotion Regulation Strategies on Risky Decision Making. Rome Workshop on Experimental Psychopathology, March 20 – 21, 2015.
Articles on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition
- Conigliaro, D., Rota, P., Setti, F, Bassetti, C., Conci, N., Sebe, N., Cristani, M., The S-HOCK Dataset: Analyzing Crowds at the Stadium, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2015), 2039-2047.
- Cheng, D., Setti, F., Zeni, N., Ferrario, R., Cristani, M., Semantically-driven Automatic Creation of Training Sets for Object Recognition, in Spampinato, C., Boom B., Huet, B.,Computer Vision and Image Understanding,131: 56-71, 2015.
- Setti F., Cristani M., The GRODE Metrics: Exploring the Performance of Group Detection Approaches, 1st International Workshop on Group and Crowd Behavior Analysis and Understanding (GROW 2015), IEEE, pp. 36-42.
- Setti F., Russell C., Bassetti C., Cristani M., F-formation Detection: Individuating Free-standing Conversational Groups in Images, PLOS One, 10, 5, e0123783.
- Cristani, M., Ferrario, R., Statistical pattern recognition meets formal ontologies: Towards a semantic visual understanding, Roadmapping the Future of Multimodal Interaction Research including Business Opportunities and Challenges (RFMIR), ACM, 2014, 23-25.
- Abduljali Abdulhak, S., Riviera, W., Zeni, N., Cristani, M., Ferrario, R., Cristani, M., Semantic-Analysis Object Recognition: Automatic Training Set Generation Using Textual Tags, Proceedings of ECCV 2014 Workshops, Springer, 309-322.
- Roffo, G., Giorgetta, C., Ferrario, R., Cristani, M., Just the Way You Chat: Linking Personality, Style and Recognizability in Chats, Human Behavior Understanding, Volume 8749 Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 30-41.
- Roffo, G., Giorgetta, C., Ferrario, R., Riviera, W., Cristani, M., Statistical Analysis of Personality and Identity in Chats Using a Keylogging Platform, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI 2014), ACM, 224-231.
- Setti, F., Lanz, O., Ferrario, R., Murino, V., Cristani, M., Multi-scale F-formations Estimation for Group Detection, Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2013), IEEE, 3547-3551.
- Setti, F., Hung, H., Cristani, M., Group Detection in Still Images by F-Formation Modeling: A Comparative Study, Proceedings of the 14th International Workshop on Image and Audio Analysis for Multimedia Interactive Services (WIAMIS 2013), IEEE, 1-4.
- Conigliaro, D., Setti, F., Bassetti, C., Ferrario, R., Cristani, M., ATTENTO: ATTENTion Observed for Automated Spectator Crowd Monitoring, in A.A. Salah, H. Hung, O. Aran, H. Gunes, Human Behavior Understanding, Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop, HBU 2013, LNCS, vol. 8212, Springer 2013, pp. 102-111.
- Conigliaro, D., Setti, F, Bassetti, C., Ferrario, R., Cristani, M., Viewing the Viewers: a Novel Challenge for Automated Crowd Analysis, New Trends in Image Analysis and Processing (ICIAP 2013), Volume 8158 Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 517-526.
- Setti, F., Cheng, D.-S., Abduljalil Abdulhak, S., Ferrario, R., Cristani, M., Ontology-assisted Object Detection: Towards the Automatic Learning with Internet, in A. Petrosino (ed.), Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing (ICIAP 2013), LNCS vol. 8157, Springer 2013, pp. 191-200.
- Setti, F, Porello, D., Ferrario, R., Abduljalil Abdulhak, S., Cristani, M., “Tell me more”: how semantic technologies can help refining internet image search, in Spampinato, C., Boom, B., Huet, B., Proceedings of the International Workshop on Video and Image Ground Truth in computer vision Applications (VIGTA 2013), published by ACM, art. nr. 3.
Articles on Philosophical Foundations
- Porello, D., On the Quality of Collective Decisions in Sociotechnical Systems: Transparency, Fairness, and Efficiency, in F. Cecconi (ed.), New Frontiers in the Study of Social Phenomena, New York: Springer (ISBN: 978-3-319-23938-5), 2016, 153-167.
- Masolo, C., Porello, D., A cognitive view of relevant implication, Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Cognition, CEUR Workshop Proceeding 1510, 2015, 40-53.
- Porello, D., Majoritarian Group Action, Principles and Practice of Multi-Agent Systems, 18th International Conference, Volume 9387 Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer 2015, 416-432.
- Bottazzi, E., Masolo, C., Porello, D., Old and New Riddles about Concept Sharing, Proceedings of the European Conference on Social Intelligence (ECSI 2014), 16-27.
- Porello, D., Deliberating About Voting Dimensions, in I. Takayuki, C. Jonker, M. Gini, O. Shehory (ed.) Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS-2013), ACM Digital Library, pp. 1265-1266, 2013.
- Bassetti, C., Bottazzi, E., Ferrario, R., Fatal attraction. Interaction and crisis management in socio-technical systems, 29th European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium (EGOS 2013.)
- Bassetti, C., Bottazzi, E., Ferrario, R., On the power of the impossible. Overt and covert meaning-breaking in interaction, 8th Annual Liverpool Symposium on Current Developments in Ethnographic Research in the Social and Management Sciences The Politics of Meaning-making / Meaning-breaking, 2013.
- Bottazzi, E., Ferrario, R., Appearance counting as reality? Some considerations on stability and unpredictability in social institutions, Phenomenology and Mind, 3 (2012), 39-149.
Articles on Logics and Knowledge Representation
- Porello, D., Troquard, N., Non-normal modalities in variants of Linear Logic, Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logics, 25(3), 2015, 229-255.
- Porello, D., Modelling equivalent definitions of concepts, in Christiansen, H., Stojanovic, I., Papadopoulos, G. (eds.), Modeling and Using Context. The Ninth International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context, CONTEXT 2015, Volume 9405 Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2015, 506-512.
- Sanfilippo, E., Masolo C., Porello, D., Design Knowledge Representation, Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Design. A workshop of the XIV International Conference of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AI*IA 2015), CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 41-54.
- Sanfilippo, E.M., Towards the formal representation of technical product for design and manufacturing, in Cuel, R., Young, R. (eds.), Workshop on Formal Ontologies Meet Industry: 7th International Workshop (FOMI), Volume 225 Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, Springer 2015, 75-87.
- Masolo, C., Porello, D., A note on the representation of relations in conceptual spaces, in Cruciani, M., Linguaggio, Cognizione & Società, Atti della XII Conferenza Annuale dell’Associazione Italiana di Scienze Cognitive (AISC 2015), NeaScience – Anno 2 – Volume 9, 117-120.
- Borgo, S., Porello, D., Troquard, N., Logical Operators for Ontological Modeling, in Garbacz, P., Kutz, O. (eds.) Formal Ontology in Information Systems, 8th International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems (FOIS 2014), Volume 267 Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, IOS Press, 23-36.
- Porello, D., Troquard, N., A resource-sensitive logic of agency, ECAI 2014, Proceedings of the 21st European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Volume 263 Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, IOS Press 2014, 723-728.
- Porello D., Troquard, N., A resource-sensitive account of the use of artifacts, Proceedings of the 13th International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS’14), ACM, 1549-1550, 2014.
- Porello, D., Logics for Collective Reasoning, in Proceedings of the European Conference on Social Intelligence (ECSI 2014), 2014, 148-159.
- Porello, D., A Proof-Theoretical View of Collective Rationality, in F. Rossi, Proceedings of the 23rd International Joint Conference of Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2013), pp. 317-323.
Articles on Ontology
- Ferrario, R., Porello, D., Towards a conceptualization of socio-material entanglement, in Christiansen, H., Stojanovic, I., Papadopoulos, G. (eds.), Modeling and Using Context. The Ninth International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context, CONTEXT 2015, Volume 9405 Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2015, 32-46.
- Porello, D., Bottazzi, E., Ferrario, R., Group Conflict as Social Contradiction, in D’Errico, F., Poggi, I., Vinciarelli, A., Vincze, L. (eds.), Conflict and Multimodal Communication, Volume 1 Social Research and Machine Intelligence, 2015, 33-53.
- Porello, D., Cristani, M., Ferrario, R., Integrating Ontologies and Computer Vision for Classification of Objects in Images, in Besold, T. R.., Kühnberger, K.-U. (eds.) Proceedings of the Workshop on Neural-Cognitive Integration. KI 2015 38th German Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Publication Series of the Institute of Cognitive Science PICS, University of Osnabrück, Vol. 1-2015, 1-15.
- Porello, D., Bottazzi, E., Ferrario, R., The Ontology of Group Agency, in Garbacz, P., Kutz, O. (eds.), Formal Ontology in Information Systems, 8th International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems (FOIS 2014), Volume 267 Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, IOS Press, 2014,183-196.
- Porello, D., Endriss, U., Ontology Merging as Social Choice: Judgment Aggregation under the Open World Assumption, Journal of Logic and Computation, 24 (6): 1229-1249, 2014.
- Porello, D., Setti, F., Ferrario, R., Cristani, M., Multiagent socio-technical systems: An ontological approach, in T. Balke (eds.), Coordination, Organisations, Institutions and Norms in Agent Systems IX (COIN 2013), Volume 8386 Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer 2013, 42-62.
- Porello, D., Ferrario, R., Giorgetta, C., Ontological modeling of emotion-based decisions, in K.U. Kühnberger, P. König, S. Walter (eds.), Proceedings of the workshop Formalizing Mechanisms for Artificial General Intelligence and Cognition (FormalMAGIC-2013), Publication Series of the Institute of Cognitive Science PICS, University of Osnabrück, Vol. 1-2013, 17-23.